Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Life Update


Here's an update on my life, starting with college, including my back injury, and finishing with a reflection on my timeline of emotions of my year abroad.

Last I left off, I was deciding where to go to college, between Madison, UCSD, UWash, McGill, U of Minnesota, and UCSC. I got rejected from Berkeley, which didn't surprise me at all and only disappointed me for an hour or two. I posted a question to the world about UCSD's vibe and got overwhelmingly negative responses; people telling me that UC Socially Dead is very weak on extra-curricular activities and is not friendly and open. Further research also showed me that much of UCSD's reputation comes from biology and engineering, while Madison is very strong in the humanities. This means that Madison is a better school in the subjects I'm more likely to major in, as well as having a better vibe for me. It's not that I want a party school, exactly, because I don't really like parties. I just want the attitude of a party school, where everyone is looking to be friendly with everyone else, and you can smile at people as you walk down the street and sit next to strangers in the dining hall and strike up conversations.

Anyway, after a lot of research and reading the many facebook messages I got on the subject and soul-searching, it became pretty obvious to me what my best choice was, which is actually the school I've wanted since the beginning: The University of Wisconsin-Madison. So on April 6th I signed my online confirmation, finished signing up for housing, and declined all my other offers. WOOOOOO!!!

Excuse my unprofessional writing, but WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Let's put on some happy music. (I'm actually not very good at happy music, so this is the best I've got: My Evil Plan to Save the World)

I'm really excited. It feels like the right choice, and I'm also really glad to be done making that choice. My best friend Grace got a really stressed angsty 3am Gchat conversation with me the weekend before. Now that that choice is over, I can theoretically get a good night's sleep!

Theoretically, because Life Update #2: I have back issues. I posted a week ago about my accident that ended me up in the hospital (Socialized Medicine). Unfortunately, my back issues weren't getting better, so on Wednesday (6 days after I fell) I went to see a kinésthérapeute/ostéopathe, which is a very generalized French doctor who does physical therapy, chiropractics, osteopathy, etc. He was very attractive and kind just like my emergency room doctor was, leaving me with the impression that all the rumored good-looking Frenchmen I was promised are all hiding in doctor's offices, because I certainly don't see them very often. He showed me that I had one leg 2 inches longer than the other, which is not normal, and put my pelvis back on its hinges. After he finished cracking me back into place, he showed me that my legs actually have a normal half-centimeter difference, which is why I often have back problems because my pelvis likes to jump off its hinges. Then he turned his attention to my upper back which is where it actually hurt, and said “Does it hurt to breathe?” “...Yes, especially if I sneeze or laugh.” “Well... that's normal. You have a muscle caught between your spine and your ribs that catches every time you breathe.” “...Oh.”

I guess eventually I will learn that whenever I hurt, I actually have a pretty bad medical problem. Obviously an out-of-place back is nothing I could die of, but it is nonetheless painful and every time I've needed to see a chiropractor they've been astonished that I didn't come in earlier. This problem runs in the family: we have high pain tolerance, don't like asking for help, and assume the problem will go away if we ignore it. I am writing all of this down to try to help me see how stupid this is so I won't do it anymore. It was especially stupid of me because I was on maximum dosage of paracetamol for 4 or 5 days and it was doing absolutely nothing for me and I couldn't sleep, so I should've known that I had a problem that wouldn't go away with time. Now, fortunately, I'm doing much better, am off the pain meds, and even went back to frisbee practice last night for the first time in two weeks. Yay!

In other news, springtime decided not to come this year. We went straight from a cold, gray, rainy winter to summer. Last Sunday was the first day of summer, and I went fishing with my host brother and father in the grandfather's boat.

Bare feet!

Fishing, meaning I lay on the top of the boat and sunbathed. Yes, I did get sunburned, but it was worth it.

With the sudden arrival of summer, a lot of things are changing. People are happier, we hang out outside during lunchtime instead of inside, and everyone's starting to count down the days until school's out. My friend Sarah, the other American, is going home in less than a month. I have less than 2 months until I see my parents and less than 3 months until I am HOME for real. 3 months from now, I'll be picking up my host sister at the airport.

You know how smell is the sense the most strongly linked to emotion? This has always been especially true for me because I have an acute sense of smell. The warmer weather means my sense of smell has come back in full flood, oddly enough reminding me of when I first came at the end of August. The smell of the soil and the plants in the garden, the smell of cows and green things when I go running, the smell of my sheets and the particular laundry detergent that they use, the smell of the house in general, they all remind me in a vivid, gut-wrenching sort of way how terrified I was when I first came, how sick and lost and alone. It's a weird feeling, but somewhat triumphant because it reminds me just how far I've come. In August and September I didn't talk much, I barely ate because I couldn't stomach the heavy food, I didn't know what to say or how to say it or how to act or anything. After two weeks I went to my first frisbee practice. I was terrified of everyone, didn't understand a word the coach said, and especially hated the fact that all the frisbee players say hello to each other with a cheek kiss. Seriously, isn't that a little overkill? In the States we just show up and say “Hi guys!” and start playing.
At the end of November, I went to my first frisbee tournament and declared that weekend a turning point: I had finally found a reason to stay in France. Now, my coach is one of my favorite people I know, and he's determined to send me to the national women's championship (more on that later) because he said he's proud of what I've become and how much I've improved.

I'm gonna miss these guys!


So for a brief summary:
In early October, I broke down for the first time and cried, just because I was homesick and alone and felt like the months ahead of me were so very long. (For the record, I broke down twice this year, once in October and once in... January? Anyway, the middle of the year.) In late October I had an angst crisis: sure, I was starting to get used to life in France, but what if it didn't fulfill my dreams? What if my life at home was actually, well... better, in most respects, than my life here? Considering how often I had told myself “Just X more months and I'm out of this high school, out of this boring city, out of this whole messed-up country!” before leaving, that was a pretty sad realization and took awhile to get over.

In mid-November I was in Paris, mostly alone, getting lost and daring to ask for directions and even starting to walk with the confidence that made people think I was a native – I got asked for directions three times. In December I sold oysters at the market, and celebrated Christmas away from home. In February I went to England with my class, which was the other most important turning point during my year abroad: I finally started feeling like I belonged with my class and with my friends, like I deserved a place on the bus instead of feeling bad for tagging along and annoying people. I also turned 18, which has honestly given me a sassiness +10 bonus. I'm a responsible adult, and no one can mess with me! In February or March I finally started being best buddies with my host sister – we got along excellently since the beginning, but now I never do my homework because we're too busy hanging out, watching bad reality TV, and making fun of each other. April 4th, when I went to the hospital, was the first day where I forgot to be embarrassed about my accent in front of strangers. I just started talking to the nurse and the strangers at the hospital without stopping to explain, timidly, that I'm American and I'm sorry for my accent. And guess what? It worked just fine – my doctor talked to me in perfectly normal French. Even though they obviously knew I was foreign, they respected the fact that I speak fluently and didn't make a big fuss over my foreignness.

That leaves us at the present. Up until quite recently, I didn't think I was going to be sad to leave France at all. Sure, there are a few people I'll miss. I'll miss some people from my class and my frisbee team and most of all my host family.

 Les copines me manqueront!

But recently my life has just started to take on a greater degree of completeness, a sensation that I'm actually not in withdrawal of anything. I miss my parents and my friends and my music and my hometown, but I also have a life here that is becoming more and more rewarding, and it's going to be more difficult to leave it than I had imagined.

I know this was a very rambling update. But to conclude, I'm very excited to be going to Madison next year, my back issues are better, and France is starting to smell like summer.

Here's a love song with very repetitive lyrics that are adorable, since I haven't done any complementary French songs for awhile. T'es Belle – Volo
You're beautiful when you smile... and when we see your teeth... when you make a lame joke in the middle of a silence... when you get mad and it's not the right time to tell you so... You're beautiful in all circumstances.”

No comments:

Post a Comment