Wednesday, June 5, 2013

La pêche aux pignons

This weekend we went fishing for pignons, a small mollusk called Donax or bean clams in English. There are two methods for finding them: 1) you scrape off layers of sand with a trowel to expose the pignons and sift through the loose sand with your fingers to get any that were close to the surface. This method probably works better when there are lots of pignons, but since this year the weather was oddly cold, there are fewer than usual. 2) you look for small divets in the sand, the tiny breathing holes that give away the pignons' hiding places. You stick your finger in the hole and fish out the pignon. This worked quite well for me, because I developed a knack for spotting the holes. I filled a hole bucket with the pretty little mollusks, as did my host mom, sister, and grandpa.


I don't eat seafood, but the pignons were pretty good because they mostly just taste like garlic cream sauce, and they don't have that horrible ocean taste that shrimp and oysters do.


It was a lovely day at the beach, tinged with the nostalgia of my approaching departure. Being so close to the end makes me feel like I should document every good moment I have left.

No comments:

Post a Comment