Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Méribel, Take 2, and other vacation shenanigans

Now that it's already been a week since vacation and I've had time to forget all the irrelevant details, it's time for an update on my ski trip and the second week of vacation.

You may remember that I went skiing over Christmas, as well, with my host siblings, my host sister's boyfriend, and the grandparents. This time was minus the grandparents and plus the parents, plus the family next door who are long-time friends of my host family.



The first two days were great. I got my ski legs back under me and the snow was perfect. We had a great time doing races down all the perfect red slopes of Méribel.

Here's a video of all of us skiing: the really impressive-looking one is my host dad.

Unfortunately, at the end of the second day, my host sister Becca fell in a mogul field and broke her collarbone. Even though we were right above the first aid station she couldn't walk that far, so we had to call the ski patrol and she came down in a sled.



So the ski week was finished for her, and she was disappointed to say the least. We had been planning to do two days of snowboarding with Becca and the two daughters from next-door. After Becca's accident, we debated whether to continue. I have snowboarded before, but I thought it would be more fun to do a full week of either ski or snowboard, since you improve much more with a full week than with a few days. The girls, who are quite accomplished skiers, just wanted to snowboard to test out something new and then go back to skiing, so they thought 2 days would be perfect. So we signed up for a private lesson for the afternoon of our first day, and took the morning to try to find our balance on our boards. I hadn't forgotten much despite the fact that it's been a few years since I last snowboarded, but I found myself rather at a loss of words for how to explain it. If I learn something in French and then reteach it in French, I do fine, but transferring my knowledge from English to French is pretty difficult. One of the girls got it pretty well, while the other couldn't figure out how to stay upright long enough to get down the bunny hill. It went much better in the afternoon with the instructor, although you can see that we had trouble getting off the lift without running into people:


Here we are on the bunny hill, as my host brother yells at Pierre (Becca's boyfriend) to get out of the way of the camera, and he ends up causing an accident:


(Dad, I swear the two seconds of me in this video are not representative of my snowboarding! I was waiting for the others. Ditto for the first video of us skiing. ;) )

The second day, the girl who didn't take to snowboarding very well went back to skis, while I continued with her older sister. That day was a vast improvement over the first, as we moved on to more challenging blue runs and went faster.

The day after, we both went back to skis and spent the morning skiing through a white-out, where you couldn't see the relief in the snow at all, because you couldn't tell what was snow and what was sky. Everything was just white, and the weird covered light made it impossible to distinguish details. The only way to not fall was to follow someone else, so you could tell how steep the slope was by seeing if they were above or below you, and if there were moguls by seeing them bump up and down. It was much less enjoyable than the perfect weather we had at the beginning of the week, but it was an interesting experience. That afternoon it cleared up, and I discovered that my brief return to snowboarding had made me more fearless on skis – I am so much more in control that it suddenly seemed ridiculous to not take a few risks and go faster. Of course, my host mom spent the whole time telling me that if I went a little slower, I could work on my technique and not looking like a frog while I ski, but that would be less fun.

The last day was lovely as well, though the temperatures had really started to rise and the snow was slushy and wet. Pierre and I kept looking at the gorgeous view around us and reminding ourselves that this might be the last time we see the Alps for a good long while. The Alps are an American skier's dream, and I'll miss it back home in my puny little Sierra Nevadas.

Here's my favorite picture of the week: Pierre and I brushing our teeth in the tiny bathroom. This was right after we had a deodorant war with each other, which is why I am completely out of deodorant right now. We know how to have fun in France!

 

The second week of vacation I spent with friends, and contained both the first time I've gone over to a friend's house and the first time I invited friends over, which is sort of a social accomplishment bonus for the whole study abroad experiment. I also went to spend a touristy day in Nantes with my host family and my friend Sarah. Nantes is the birthplace of Jules Verne, so we saw a museum full of steampunk metal and wood machines: mostly mechanical animals or crude flying machines. It was a lot of visual eye candy, and made me wish that I was more artistic and could cover my room in designs like that.

Here's the giant elephant that walked/rolled through the streets of Nantes:



And us on the steampunky merry-go-round



and us exploring the castle of Nantes, which was a museum on the inside that was actually not very interesting:




That weekend, I invited some friends over for a belated birthday party, for me and for Sarah, since her birthday was 5 days after mine:



Everyone was quite disappointed in me for not having alcohol at my party, since 18 is the legal drinking age in France, but it's starting to really get on my nerves how French people can't have fun without drinking, so I refused the presence of alcohol at all. Instead we pigged out on cake, watched Mean Girls in English with French subtitles (for the classic American slumber party feel), and talked about life. It would've been nice to party it up with my friends back home, but I enjoyed this version anyway.


Then we went back to school, where I still am being a horrible slacker and getting good grades. This past weekend we took Sunday to go on an outing to Saint Nazaire, an important French port, and La Baule, which is a lovely beach town. At St. Nazaire we took a tour of a WWII-era submarine, which was really cool, and I was glad I took the guidebook in English because I never would've understood that level of technical detail in French. Though I was quite annoyed at the way it ended up happening:
The ticket lady: Here you are, 4 tickets. And your guidebooks... will they all be in French?
My host mom turned to me and asked if I wanted it in French or English.
The ticket lady: Ah, I'd gotten the impression she was an exchange student! (Switching to broken English) Here's your guidebook in English.
Me, in my head: What the heck did I do to announce my foreignness? I didn't even open my mouth!

I don't know if it's just because I'm blonde and don't look like my host family, or if there's still something about the way I carry myself that says “I'm not from around here,” even though I act much more confident than I was a few months ago. But it just rubs me the wrong way when people guess upon first glance that I'm not French, and it irritates me even more when French people speak to me in English. I understand French perfectly, and my French is 98% of the time better than their English, so I'd appreciate if they'd respect that and speak to me in the language of this country I chose to live in. Please and thank you. The same thing had happened to me when I bought my lift ticket at Méribel, and I had curtly continued to address the woman in French, but I'm honestly not sure if she understood that I was offended.

At La Baule we went to the beach, which made me a little homesick. I don't live right next to the beach in California, but it's a common enough summer outing with my friends. Smell is the sense most connected to emotion and memory, so the smell of salt water is more than enough to get me nostalgic. But it was windy and cold, and we didn't stay on the beach for long before heading into the town to walk around, do a little shopping, and eat crepes.

 (You can tell it's windy cause my bangs look dumb! But otherwise, I think these are beautiful photos.)


Next up: charity, optimism, and most importantly, COLLEGE ANGST. To give a quick preview, I got accepted to way more colleges than I expected (haven't gotten a single rejection yet!) which is actually less cool than it sounds because it means I have to decide where to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment